In this era of digital games and apps, it might seem hard to believe, but board games are making a significant comeback – especially among kids!
The ‘best board games for kids’ are not only an excellent way to keep children engaged and entertained, but they also foster cognitive development, creativity, and social skills. This makes them an ideal choice for family gatherings, play dates, and even a quiet afternoon at home. The best board games for kids offer the perfect blend of fun and learning, an experience that video games can seldom replicate.
With numerous options available in the market today, choosing the best board games for kids can be a daunting task for parents. This round-up simplifies that task by bringing together ten of the best board games that kids absolutely love. Whether you’re looking for a game that stimulates creativity, enhances strategic thinking, or simply provides endless hours of laughter, you’ll find something for everyone in this list.
Now let’s dive into our list of the top 10 board games for kids:
This game is perfect for kids who love Mario and friends. It is a simplified version of the classic Monopoly, making it easy to understand and incredibly fun for kids.
Monopoly Junior Super Mario: This game is a perfect introduction to the classic Monopoly game for younger children. It features recognizable Super Mario scenes and themes, which make it engaging for kids. The gaming sound effects add to the excitement of the game. It is a great gift for kids aged 5 and up. It is one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- The Monopoly Junior Super Mario Edition board game is a great family game that is fun for people of all ages.
- The game features Super Mario characters and themes, making it an exciting adventure for young players who love the franchise.
- With Gaming sound effects and recognizable board spaces, the game is an immersive experience that will keep kids entertained for hours.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the game pieces are made of cardboard, which can be a bit disappointing for kids who were hoping for actual character pieces.
- The game is not as challenging as the original Monopoly game, which could be a downside if you’re looking for a more complex game.
- The game is designed for younger players, so older kids and adults may find it too simple.
This exciting twist on the traditional Battleship game engages children’s strategic thinking and introduces the element of aviation. It’s a thrilling match of wits that kids will enjoy.
Battleship with Planes: This board game is a great choice for family game night. It has a mix of classic gameplay and exciting new elements that can provide hours of entertainment for kids and adults. The portable design of the game makes it easy to take with you wherever you go. It is highly recommended and one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- A twist on the classic game – Battleship with Planes adds an exciting dimension to the traditional game, making it more engaging and strategic.
- Portable game – The inclusion of two portable battle cases allows players to take the game with them and play it on the go, making it a convenient and fun travel companion.
- Childhood favorite – Battleship with Planes is a great way for kids and adults to bond over a game that has been enjoyed for generations. It’s also a great strategy game that can be played in the classroom.
- Design flaws – Some customers have noted that there is no designated area to store the additional plane pieces, and the storage compartment for the pegs is a bit small and bulges when closed.
- Price – While Battleship with Planes is reasonably priced, some customers feel that the two tiny additional planes are not worth the extra cost.
- Peg storage – The pegs can fall out if the game is jostled and there is no backing on the bottom of the board, which can push the pegs out if used on a lap.
This game offers kids a glimpse of real-life choices and consequences in a fun and interactive way. It’s great for developing decision-making skills while providing entertainment.
The Game of Life: The Hasbro Gaming version of The Game of Life is a timeless classic that can provide hours of entertainment for the whole family. It has fun features and high-quality components that make it a great choice for both seasoned and new players. It is highly recommended and one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- The Game of Life includes a variety of exciting choices such as career paths, vacation options, and house choices, making each playthrough unique and engaging.
- This classic board game is easy to set up and play, making it a great option for family game nights or gatherings with friends.
- The Game of Life also includes a “spin to win” feature, adding an element of chance and excitement as players compete to accumulate the most wealth.
- Some reviewers have noted that the spinner in the game can be difficult to use, requiring players to hold it in place throughout the entire game.
- The Game of Life may not be as competitive as other board games, which could be a downside for players looking for a more intense gaming experience.
- This version of the game does not include pets, which could be disappointing for some players who enjoyed this feature in previous versions.
A simple yet engaging game that teaches kids about pattern recognition and planning. The goal is to get four of one’s own discs in a line, either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, making it a great exercise in strategic thinking for kids.
Connect 4: This game is a fun and engaging game that the whole family can enjoy. It has a sleek modern style and cool colors that are sure to be a hit with kids and adults of all ages. It is a classic board game that you should add to your collection. It is highly recommended and one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- Connect 4 is a classic game that has been enjoyed for generations and has stood the test of time.
- The game encourages strategic thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning, making it an excellent tool for improving cognitive skills.
- The modern style and cool colors of the Connect 4 Classic Grid kids game make it visually appealing and engaging for kids and adults alike.
- Some customers have reported that the board and pieces are smaller than they expected, which may be a drawback for some players.
- The game may become repetitive and lose its appeal after multiple rounds of play, particularly for older players.
- The game is designed for only two players, which may limit its appeal for larger groups or families.
TAPPLE helps enhance vocabulary and quick thinking skills in kids. It’s a great educational yet fun game that keeps kids captivated for hours.
USAOPOLY Word Game: This word game is a great addition to any game night. It is sure to bring excitement and laughter to your gathering. The portability of the game makes it easy to take on the go, making it a great option for travel or a day at the park. It is highly recommended and one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- Tapple is a fast-paced, exciting word game that is perfect for family game night, parties, and gatherings.
- The game is easy to learn and play, and it can be played by anyone aged 8 and above.
- The portable Tapple wheel makes it easy to take the game on the go, and it stores all of the category cards for easy carry and storage.
- The game requires AA batteries, which are not included in the package.
- Some customers have reported that the game can become repetitive after a few rounds.
- The game may not be suitable for players who struggle with word association or thinking under pressure.
This game, with its delightful visuals and simple rules, is perfect for younger kids. The journey through the Candy Land nurtures imagination and offers lots of fun.
Candy Land: This game is a fun and easy-to-learn game for young children. It has classic gameplay and a colorful design that makes it a timeless choice that kids will enjoy for years to come. It is a great game for family game night and is highly recommended. It is one of the Top 11 Board Games for Kids.
- Candy Land is a classic game that has been enjoyed by generations, making it a great game for families to bond over.
- The game is easy to learn and play, making it an excellent choice for younger children who may not be able to read yet.
- The colorful and sweet illustrations on the game board and cards make it visually appealing and exciting for kids to play.
- The game may be too simple and repetitive for older children or adults, leading to boredom after a few rounds.
- The game relies heavily on luck, with players drawing cards to determine their moves, which may be frustrating for some players.
- The game only accommodates 2-4 players, making it difficult to play with larger groups of people.
It’s an excellent introduction to the world of economics for kids. The game is simpler and quicker than the original Monopoly, making it more enjoyable for children.
Sorry, I cannot do that as the original list only contains five product review conclusions, not 1
- Monopoly Junior is a simple and faster version of the classic Monopoly game, making it perfect for younger kids who are just starting to learn how to play.
- The game includes kid-friendly locations that players can buy, such as a movie theater, a zoo, or a video game arcade, making it more relatable and exciting for children.
- The game comes with fun and adorable tokens like Little Scottie, Little Hazel, Toy Car, and Mr. Monopoly’s iconic top hat, adding to the overall enjoyment of the game.
- The game only comes with $1 bills, which may limit the learning experience for kids who are trying to understand the concept of money.
- With a maximum of four players, the game may not be ideal for larger families or groups of friends.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the game may be too easy and lack the strategic elements of the classic Monopoly game.
This board game is excellent for older kids interested in general knowledge. It helps enhance their trivia skills while being a fun-filled family game.
Overall, I would highly recommend the Trivial Pursuit Master Edition to anyone looking for a fun and challenging trivia game. With updated questions, faster gameplay, and a timer to keep things moving, this game is sure to provide hours of entertainment for teens and adults alike.
- The Trivial Pursuit Master Edition game includes 2,950 intriguing, challenging, and sometimes humorous questions, making it perfect for avid trivia buffs who love to show off their knowledge.
- This game features 6 question categories, including geography, entertainment, history, art and literature, science and nature, and sports and leisure, providing a diverse range of topics for players to enjoy.
- The game allows players to collect a wedge any time they answer a question correctly, not just on the wedge spaces, which means the game can be played with traditional rules or quicker gameplay.
- Some of the questions in the game may already be outdated, making it difficult to answer them correctly and potentially taking away from the overall enjoyment of the game.
- The game board design and card format may not be user-friendly for some players, as the small icons in the big space at the end of each spoke can be hard to see and the pink and purple colors can be difficult to distinguish.
- The timer that comes with the game may not provide enough time for players to answer some of the more challenging questions, potentially creating frustration and taking away from the fun of the game.
This game combines the thrill of Yahtzee with the charm of Disney Princesses. It’s a great way for kids to enjoy their favorite characters while developing strategic thinking.
Overall, the Yahtzee Jr.: Disney Princess edition board game is an excellent choice for parents looking for a fun and engaging game for their little ones. It’s a great indoor activity and is perfect for playdates or family game nights. The game is affordable, easy to play, and comes with everything you need to get started. Highly recommended for Disney Princess fans!
- Introduces kids to the classic Yahtzee game.
- Features popular Disney Princess characters that kids love.
- No reading required, making it easy for young children to play.
- The game is made mostly of cardboard and may not be very durable.
- Putting stickers on the dice can be time-consuming.
- The game may not resemble the classic Yahtzee game for some players.
In this game, kids get to play as their favorite Disney villains! It encourages strategic planning and offers a new perspective on classic Disney stories.
Value for money
Easy to learn
Overall, Ravensburger’s Disney Villainous: Bigger and Badder Strategy Board Game is a great addition to the Villainous line. It’s easy to learn, perfect for 2 to 3 players ages 10 and up, and plays in 40 minutes to an hour. It also makes a wonderful gift for anyone who loves Disney and board games. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good strategy game and wants to play as their favorite Disney villains.
This classic game of luck, strategy, and determination is a hit among kids. It’s easy to learn and incredibly fun to play, making it a great choice for family game nights.
Overall, I highly recommend the Sorry! board game to anyone looking for a fun and engaging activity to enjoy with loved ones. With classic gameplay and the ability to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, it’s a great addition to any game collection. Plus, with over 2,000 positive reviews and a 4.8 out of 5 rating, it’s clear that many others agree with me about the quality of this product.
- The Sorry game is a classic family board game that offers hours of fun and clean entertainment for the whole family.
- The game features unpredictable gameplay that keeps everyone on the edge of their seats, making it an exciting and engaging experience.
- The game is easy to learn, and there are many possibilities depending on the card picked up and the strategy chosen, making it a game that can be played over and over again without getting boring.
- The game can be frustrating for some players, especially young children, as their pawns can be sent back to the starting point by other players.
- Some players may find the game too predictable, as it follows the same basic gameplay as the original version.
- The game is only suitable for 2 to 4 players, which may limit its appeal for larger families or groups.
As we close this comprehensive roundup of the best board games for kids, it’s clear that board games are more than mere pastimes or distractions. They offer an immersive and interactive platform that fosters numerous cognitive and social skills in children. By selecting from our carefully curated list of the eleven best board games for kids, you are providing them with opportunities for entertainment and enrichment.
Each game listed, be it Monopoly Junior Super Mario Edition, Battleship With Planes, or the simple yet strategic Connect 4, ensures an exciting and educational gaming experience. Board games like these make learning fun and interactive, offering children the chance to explore different roles, develop strategic thinking, and enhance problem-solving abilities.
A key highlight of board games is their versatility. From games that help build vocabulary like TAPPLE® Word Game to others that offer a fun glimpse into economics like Monopoly Junior, the range is wide and caters to various interests and age groups. Regardless of the game chosen, the underlining aim is to make learning enjoyable and captivating.
Beyond cognitive benefits, these games play a crucial role in social development. They encourage kids to engage with others, build relationships, learn about teamwork, and understand the concept of fair play. Playing a round of Sorry! Board Game or Trivial Pursuit Master Edition can not only bring about laughter and create lasting memories but also teach children about winning gracefully and accepting defeat with dignity.
In an era where digital platforms and virtual realities are increasingly dominating playtime, it’s refreshing and essential to reintroduce kids to the joy and benefits of board games. These games provide a welcome break from screen time, bringing back the charm of traditional, interactive fun.
The best board games for kids are, therefore, those that combine the elements of fun, learning, and development into a cohesive, enjoyable package. It’s an investment that pays off not only in the immediate joy and excitement that kids experience during the game but also in the long-term development of their skills and personality.
Finally, remember that the primary objective of playing these games is for children to have fun. The more they enjoy playing these games, the more engaged they will be, and the more they play, the more skills they will develop.
As a parent, your role is to guide them, participate with them, and most importantly, enjoy the experience with them.
Now, with this list of the best board games for kids in hand, let the games, laughter, and learning begin!
Also Read: Top 10 Birthday Gifts for 13-Year-Olds